Saturday, April 11, 2009

Ouch

It sure is tough getting back in shape after time off. I had 4+ months off of running completely, and its been rough getting back into it. The surgery made my right leg weaker since I lost mobility for longer than we were expecting and it took a couple weeks or so to even get the quad to respond. It was quite a weird feeling.

I pushed through a half marathon with my dad last weekend to start pushing the time and endurance, then this weekend I hit the trails for 2 hours of trail running. It makes me sad to see how slow Ive become at longer distances compared to where I was last year, but at the same time, Im very thankful to be back to running.

Not rushing this has been interesting. Not rushing... how slow do you go, how many miles do you put in then? How quickly or slowly do you ramp back up? Its all a guessing game really. Each person is different so you just pick a point, start, and alter from there. This sure has taught me patience and tolerance. And, being really thankful to be out doing what many can only dream about for one reason or another.

This looks like a good week to talk about ramping up too fast in the spring. After long Michigan winters, its so easy to fall into the trap of too much too soon, or too fast, in the spring when we all finally come out of hibernation!

No comments: