Thursday, April 9, 2009

the beginning

I have toyed with starting a blog for a year or so now. First it was to document my journey through my first Ironman. I started it last year, and within about two posts it felt more like ramblings and posting numbers and figures that I already had in my workout logs anyways, so I stopped.

So, my intention with this blog is to post useful (I suppose thats relative to the audience) information regarding training and coaching, and also document my year and lessons learned along the way. Those can be very useful and some of the best blogs I have found out there post a lot of trial and error things that can give you something to think about.

LESSON 1 :) The blog title. The title is actually a reminder to me of the first lesson I was lucky enough to learn early on in life. I actually had a little help learning this, with a group of people that went through some classes with me and we were forced to PRACTICE it everyday, not just talk about it. I had a HUGE problem of only doing whatever I felt like, whenever I felt like it, work wise, personal wise, relationship wise, athletic wise, etc. I found all these areas that I was choosing feeling over commitment, and it was embarassing. Feelings ebb and flow, feelings cause you to lose sight of your ultimate goal, feelings cause you to make rash decisions that maybe you wouldnt if you took a second, feelings can absolutely RUN your life if you let them.

I started applying it to life, with some success. Oddly enough it didnt really register well with me until running/adventure racing/triathlon entered my life. I'd say this was the first time that I decided to really put commitment over feeling into practice EVERYDAY. Either I chose commitment everyday and achieved my goal of losing weight and racing, or I chose not to. Surprisingly, it worked well. Soon I found it spilled over into my personal life to, work life, college life, etc. Make no mistake, feelings are strong, feelings WILL get in the way of life sometimes. But its being able to notice that, fix it, and move on that is important. So, theres a little background on the title, and look for a blog a little later in the week on training plans and when your doing the wrong workouts. Its almost race season!!! WOO HOO!

No comments: