Wednesday, September 2, 2009

oops

So, no marathons this year, turned into a trail marathon this year. Why? Because I think I can. Thats it really. I miss the challenge of going longer, the peacefulness I feel when its just me and the trail for a couple of hours. The knee has started to feel a bit better... I dont know if it is from some reduced volume, or as the knee surgeon said, sometimes the extra tissue will just increase and decrease for no reason really. Is it just decreasing right now before it inevitably hits again? Who knows. Point is, I wont have it removed until its debilitating enough like the right one was last year, when the tissue would not decrease by itself, even with months off of weight bearing exercise. It may happen soon, it may not. Im ok with whichever way it goes and I wont let it stop me from enjoying myself this fall.

The trail marathon though, I did pick it for a reason. Since I learned last year that I can train to potentially Boston qualify, Im not sure Im going to run another straight road marathon until Im ready to train for that again. And now is NOT the time. I simply can not wrap my brain around any focus other than getting out of my current job and focusing on coaching. I am studying to get certified in sports nutrition, and just finished my USA cycling exam also. These are more important focuses at the moment. There is time for that next year.

This trail marathon will be about fun, seeing how the knee holds, and enjoying the scenery :)

Yesterday I was having a conversation with a friend, and client of mine about mental blocks. I think most athletes hit a point where they realize they are capable of more, they WANT more, and they are on a mission to get there. Sometimes its at the expense of other things, and you can become so one track minded, that while you are getting what you wanted, you start to become miserable and angry. I was explaining that Ive learned with myself, and others, that it seems to be part of the process of being a long term athlete. Many of us are in this as a lifestyle, not as a one and done mentality. However, most of us have never been in this arena before. The ebb and flow of the ability to focus from year to year, the DESIRE that ebbs and flows, etc. Sometimes you have to hit that miserable and angry point when things arent going your way, in order to come out a more well rounded athlete, and person. You begin to then learn how to balance. How to balance the thoughts, balance how hard you are on yourself, when you can and just cant complete a workout, when you are just being lazy, and when it is truly time to put your head down and focus. When you finally make it over that speedbump, the whole ride of the endurance life seems to be much more enjoyable mixing in with the rest of your life!

**** One big shout out to KIM SANNER! Kim, congrats on your Kona qualify this past weekend in Louisville! It was a pleasure working with you the last couple of months in the pool, and I cant wait to see how much more time you shave off with becoming a "swimmer"!!!

No comments: